Tapuru was built in 1948 by J J Savage at Williamstown, Victoria. Yacht has had the original name “Tapuru” since built in 1948.
Early years seem to be have been spent on Port Phillip and Corio Bays, and as part of the RCYC racing fleet in the 1950’s & 1960’s. Following this it appears she made her way to Perth, WA before eventually spending a considerable time in NT and Queensland waters. In the 1980’s Tapuru was acquired by James Frecheville who cruised in her to PNG and the Solomon Islands before returning to Darwin. In around 1996 Tapuru underwent a major rebuild carried out by Clint Macey, Port Douglas, Queensland. At this time it seems Tapuru was also converted from the traditional ketch rig to her current sloop arrangement. A sole 26 hp diesel was also fitted. In around 1998 Tapuru was purchased by Dave Wilson who sailed & lived aboard her in Queensland and NT waters. Dave eventually placed her on the market in Darwin before trucking her down to Adelaide where the current owner purchased her mid 2010. Tapuru was then trucked to Geelong and spent 6 months on the hardstand at the Western Beach Boat Club where she underwent another significant rebuild / overhaul carried out by Richard Griffen of Grifter classic boats, Drysdale (mobile 0459 213 143). Tapuru is currently kept on a swing mooring at WBBC and used for bay 'adventures'.
(C) 2012, 2013 Herreshoff H28 Association of Australia, Inc - Registration Number: A0040053W